Info about Roland's own 5050 editor
vitaminman12
2002-04-24 00:13:06 UTC
Hey,

I've been using the 5050 editor that Roland provides from its website:

http://www.rolandus.com/support/software/download/MISC/XV5050EditSoft.
zip

The thing, for lack of a better term, sucks. The synth has got some
killer sounds, but boy does it take a lot of time to get anything
done using the Roland editor. It's still better than the front panel
and LCD screen, but still...

I don't know too much about the inner workings of Sound Diver and the
Roland editor, but I suspect that Sound Diver first requests all the
sysex data from a synth and then loads it into system RAM where it
can quickly be manipulated and transferred to the device; in the
Roland editor, it has to request EVERYTHING and transmit EVERYTHING
across the MIDI cable EACH time you try to edit something or change
between patch and program modes.

For something simple like changing a patch within a part, it clocks
in at a mere 7 seconds...in Sound Diver with my 2080 it is immediate.
My guess there is that instead of sending the appropriate program
change to call up the patch, it is requesting the entire patch data,
transferring it to the computer to load into the editor, and then
back into the synth's RAM. Ridiculous.

The interface is clumsy, you cannot numerically insert values, you
cannot edit the envelopes with a mouse, the help file pretty much
tells you only how to set up the MIDI stuff, etc.

So, please Emagic, see it in your hearts to make an editor for the
5050, because the guys at Roland aren't doing so well!

Thanks

Nick
mikemastaler
2002-04-24 21:07:09 UTC
I read somewhere that the XV-5050 was going to come with a
special soundDiver editor. I have a feeling that Emagic and Roland
couldn't come to an agreement, so Emagic is upset and this may be why
they don't/won't create a 5050 profile, and Roland had to make their
own editor; Emagic? Comment Please?

Mike

==================================
Nick
Michael Haydn
2002-04-25 07:31:30 UTC
Post by mikemastaler
I read somewhere that the XV-5050 was going to come with a
special soundDiver editor. I have a feeling that Emagic and Roland
couldn't come to an agreement, so Emagic is upset and this may be why
they don't/won't create a 5050 profile, and Roland had to make their
own editor; Emagic? Comment Please?
We are not upset. It was a simple but stupid techical communication
problem. For some reason Roland never received an email from us,
although we tried several times. So they had the impression we were
not interested and started their own project. Of course we were
interested, but now that Roland has an own editor, it would be too
expensive to develop a module which is not included as an OEM version.
--
Beste Gruesse - best regards,

Michael Haydn
EMAGIC Soft- und Hardware GmbH
SoundDiver Group Executive
Logic Developer (Logic Control integration)
Unitor8 Control Project Manager
Glyn
2002-04-25 19:23:50 UTC
Hi Michael,

And now due to a 'simple but stupid technical communication problem' the
only people who lose out are the paying customer??

Come on guys...forget the politics and give the consumer what he wants
please.

Surely if you made a sale of SoundDiver to a customer due solely to its
inclusion of the XV-5050 module would it not be worth it in the long run?

There must be lots of modules out there that do not have an OEM version and
as Emagic have modules of a similar nature and have great experience with
Roland (and all other) manufacturers surely it would not be an
insurmountable task?

Quote;
"I can understand your worries, but fact is that we have a new
employee working 100% on SoundDiver, and additionally a computer
science student who also works 100% on SoundDiver."

Put these guys on the case :-)

Just my 2c worth...

Regards,
-=Glyn=-
mrsugmad
2002-04-25 21:46:01 UTC
I agree with you Glyn; I just bought the XV-5050 for $800, and won't
be able to autolink the patches with my Logic Platinum? I have to TYPE
in over 1,000 patch names?

Surely Emagic knows that the resonably priced Xv-5050 will be selling
very well.
Don't they already have the xv-3080 and xv-5080 modules? One would
think the 80% of the work is done for the 5050; just adjust or remove
some parameters from one of the other XV modules and BAM!, you have a
5050 module.

Any future Soundiver/xv5050 user will ask why a very popular synth is
NOT included in Soundiver...

Regards,

Mike

============================
Michael Haydn
2002-04-26 08:18:44 UTC
Post by mrsugmad
Don't they already have the xv-3080 and xv-5080 modules? One would
think the 80% of the work is done for the 5050; just adjust or remove
some parameters from one of the other XV modules and BAM!, you have a
5050 module.
You are right, I was exaggerating. We will evaluate the amount of work.

mikemastaler
2002-04-26 15:18:02 UTC
Thank you for the encouraging news Michael.
BTW, at your Emagic.de site, the URL for the list of SoundDiver
instruments supported gives a 404 error (English site)....

Mike

=====================================
Michael Haydn
2002-04-26 22:16:08 UTC
Post by mikemastaler
Thank you for the encouraging news Michael.
BTW, at your Emagic.de site, the URL for the list of SoundDiver
instruments supported gives a 404 error (English site)....
Yes, we know. We switched to a faster web server, but forgot to copy
some folders.

Michael Haydn
2002-04-26 08:17:54 UTC
Post by Glyn
Put these guys on the case :-)
They are already occupied 100% with other tasks :-)

Will Thomson
2002-04-25 13:07:53 UTC
Post by Michael Haydn
It was a simple but stupid techical communication
problem. For some reason Roland never received an email from us,
although we tried several times. So they had the impression we were
not interested and started their own project.
I've seen this happen before. Better to use fax for important stuff - far
more reliable than email because at least you know for sure your client
received the communication.

Will Thomson
highlandsource
2002-05-02 00:20:41 UTC
--- In sounddiver-users-F5Bj5G+***@public.gmane.org, "vitaminman12"
<vitaminman12-F5Bj5G+***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

in the
Post by vitaminman12
between patch and program modes.
---

i was under the impression the roland editor communicated via
usb not midi?

andy
vitaminman12
2002-05-02 06:37:21 UTC
Hi,

MIDI is a communications protocol which can be transmitted
across, as far as I know, any type of port. Normally it is done
through a serial port, and USB is a newer, faster serial port.

I've used both my Midisport and the USB port with the 5050 and
there doesn't seem to be any difference in speed.

Nick
Post by vitaminman12
in the
Post by vitaminman12
between patch and program modes.
---
i was under the impression the roland editor communicated
via
Post by vitaminman12
usb not midi?
andy